I am a registered sole trader operating as Nazneen Editorial Services (henceforth NES). I offer proofreading, proof-editing and self-publishing support services to independent authors, businesses, organisations, charities, and traditional publishing houses. My client base is worldwide.
This policy describes how I protect and make use of the information you give me.
Why do I collect data from you?
I gather and use certain information about you to:
- Respond to your requests for information, e.g. A quote for editorial services, sign-up for NES newsletters, etc.
- Allow me to contact you while working on a project
- Send you my newsletters and blogs if you are a subscriber
- Enable certain functions on this website
- Better understand how visitors use this website (this is anonymised)
What information do I collect from you?
I collect the following information:
- Your first name and last name
- Your email address
- Your business name and address
- Contact number
- Information pertinent to your enquiry, e.g. The nature of your project, word count, requirements etc.
- Copies of our email correspondence
- Bank details (only in some cases and it is not collected via this website)
- Project details
How do I use your information?
I use your information to
- Communicate with you e.g. answer queries, send you my newsletter (if you have subscribed), send you blog alerts (if you have subscribed), discuss project-related matters
- Work on projects for you
- Promote your work
- Market NES (e.g. testimonials or photos for social media, web content, etc.). Terms and Conditions sent out before each project will mention this and can be negotiated.
I do not collect any financial information via the NES site. If you engage my services, I will send you an invoice by email. I may need your postal address. Your details are held on Bokio, a booking-keeping software. At this moment, I do not accept payment by debit cards or credit cards and do not hold those details. In some cases, I may need your bank details to make payments to you. These details will be held on Bokio. (I may request your bank details if I am providing self-publishing support – this will depend on the level of support I am providing, e.g. if I set up your KDP account. I will provide clear guidance on how I deal with your financial information if your information is needed).
I keep project information and documents indefinitely, including emails. However, you may ask me to delete these and I will try to comply. (If it conflicts with legal requirements by HMRC, I may not be able to delete all the files). Most information will be held on files on my cloud server. I will keep hard copies of books and other final products. I will keep items useful for reference for future projects, such as a style sheets or our contract of services as part of my records and for use for future work, e.g. a second edition of a book.
A cookie is a small file placed on your computer’s hard drive. It enables the NES site to identify your computer as you view different pages on the site.
A good guide to understanding cookies can be found here: https://www.dummies.com/education/internet-basics/defining-and-dealing-with-web-cookies/.
How do I collect your personal data?
I keep project information and documents indefinitely, including emails. However, you may ask me to delete these and I will try to co
I collect and store information via the following forms:
- Contact form (via WordPress)
- Blog alerts via WordPress
- Newsletter sign-up via Mailchimp
- Email via Google Workspace
- Phone numbers on my iPhone
I will never lease, distribute or sell your information to third parties unless you give me written permission to do so, or I am required to do so by law.
You can ask me to remove your data from WordPress or Mailchimp at any time.
How do I collect your personal How do I store your personal data?
The information I collect is stored on the following data servers:
How long do I keep your data for?
As clients work with me more than once, I do not delete data unless specifically requested to do so.
HMRC (the UK government’s tax office) requires that as a sole trader: ‘You must keep your records for at least 5 years after the 31 January submission deadline of the relevant tax year.’ See https://www.gov.uk/self-employed-records/how-long-to-keep-your-records
Please ask if you want me to delete or amend your records. As will aim to do so as long as I am complying with HMRC’s legal requirements,
With whom is your data shared?
I will not share your data unless you request that I do so in writing, or HMRC chooses to audit my business.
Links to other websites
How can I contact you about my concerns?
If you have any questions or requests for modification or removal of your data, you are welcome to email me at email@example.com or write to me at:
Nazneen Editorial Services, 63 Westdown Road, London, E15 2DA, UK.